Baby Papenfuss

Baby Papenfuss

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Dean's Birthday

I was scheduled to be induced a week after my due date on Sunday, September 7th. I was nervous about being induced so I did everything I could to go into labor on my own except drink castor oil because that sounded seriously gross. I would go on long walks twice a day and I even jumped on the trampoline on multiple occasions. No luck. I could tell that I was getting closer but it was frustrating because I didn't really know what I was waiting for.

We were on call that night for the induction but they told us the call would most likely come around 5 or 6 in the morning. We went to sleep but I was way too nervous and excited to sleep that well. At 4 in the morning I had a braxton hicks contraction that was accompanied by some back pain. I thought it might be a real contraction but I was worried about getting my hopes up. When it happened again 5 minutes later I got out my contracting timing app and started timing them. I had never been so happy and excited to be in pain early in the morning! They were still about 4 to 5 minutes apart when we got the call to come in for the induction.

I went up and ate as much as I could for breakfast because I knew they wouldn't let me eat with my epidural. Me, Curtis, and Mom headed over to the hospital.

 I was so happy to tell them that I was already in labor when we got there. They got me to my room which was really nice and I only had to wait a little bit for the doctor to come look at me. Dr Lunt came to check on me and even though I was in labor I was still only dilated to a one. He broke my water to try and speed up the process. Having your water broken is painless but man is it gross. I always just thought it would pour out and then be done but it continued to leak out as I had my contractions and that was just the grossest feeling. I waited a little bit longer as the contractions got more painful and the nurse came and checked me again only to tell me that I was still only at a two. I was disappointed and they started me on pitocin to speed things up. She told me to wait one more half hour and then she would check me to see if I could have my epidural.

She didn't come back for 40 minutes and I was a little upset with her because she only said I would have to wait 30. Luckily for me, she just came back with the anesthetist instead of checking on me. He was a weird guy but I didn't care as long as I didn't have to feel any more pain. Curtis wanted to watch him do it and the guy was nice enough to explain himself as he was going. He had Curtis hold the needle after he was finished but got really upset when Curtis accidentally touched his glove and then put the needle back on the tray and everything was contaminated. After he left I pushed the button a couple times just to make sure I would get enough juice and soon enough I couldn't feel anything from my waist down.

The nurse came back in to check me and I was still only at a 2 and she said if she would have checked me before the epidural she wouldn't have given it to me yet. Oh well :) It was too late so I got to enjoy my epidural pretty early. Then it was just a waiting game. It took me hours and hours just to dilate to a 4. Kacey arrived at the hospital so she got to watch some family feud with us as we waited for something to happen! After that, the next time a nurse came in was an hour later and I was expecting her to tell me that I still wasn't progressing and then she told me that I was at a 10 and ready to start trying to push!

They wanted me to start trying to push before they called the doctor in to see where I was at. They propped my legs up and told me to start slow. It was weird trying to push since I was so numb but I concentrated and started to slowly push and then all of the sudden they were telling me to stop. They said the head was already right there. I looked in the mirror and sure enough you could see the top of deans head! The doctor was still in a stake presidency meeting so we had to wait about 40 minutes for him to get there. They were worried the baby would pop out so they brought my legs back down and told me not to push anymore.
This is me waiting while knowing that Dean's head was already right there!

Once the doctor got there he quickly put on his gloves as I got propped up again. He told me to start slow because they were worried about tearing so I slowly started to push and then they were yelling at me to stop again! I never even got to show them what a real push would look like! Dean popped out so fast that the doctor barely had time to catch him.

After that, Curtis got to cut the cord and he almost cut it in the wrong place! Luckily, they caught him in time. I remember feeling so jealous that Curtis got to stay with Dean and watch him get bathed and everything while I had to just sit in the bed.

It definitely wasn't the typical movie birth with the mother screaming and panic everywhere. Epidurals are the greatest. It was such a nice, calm birth and I'm so glad that my mom and Kacey got to be there with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment